Main Menu

Explore More


Running Start

Running Start Informational Video


Running Start is a statewide program that provides an opportunity for juniors and seniors to enroll in courses at our local community colleges as part of their high school coursework.

Students may enroll simultaneously in high school and college classes, or solely in college classes. College tuition for up to 15 credits is paid through Running Start. The maximum credit eligible is based on students combined high school and college enrollment. Students are responsible for transportation, books, supplies and applicable fees.

Lindbergh High School students who participate in Running Start are responsible to keep themselves informed about the LHS school calendar and activities. This information is available at the LHS website.

Seniors must also complete their High School and Beyond Plan here at LHS. This information is also available at the LHS website. The high school is the final authority on high school graduation requirements. It is important to work closely with a high school counselor to ensure that you are meeting all your graduation requirements.

Once you begin your college courses, you will be considered a "regular" college student. You will be in classes with adults of all ages. The faculty expects the same level of classroom participation and quality of work from all students. Students are expected to meet class deadlines, be prepared for class, ask questions, and conduct themselves as responsible adults. If students have difficulty or need additional assistance, it is the students' responsibility to seek out the instructor or contact their college counselors.

You will receive both high school and college credit after you successfully complete your classes. These grades become part of your permanent college transcript. The college will mail your grade report directly to LHS and our register will record the classes on your transcript here.



  • If you find traditional high school does not fit your career goals, you may find what you need at a community college.
  • You can earn up to two years of tuition-free college credit, getting a head start on your career goal.
  • You may have the opportunity to take elective courses that are not offered at LHS.
  • Academically prepared students have an opportunity to take advanced level courses.


  • The social network is very different, and you will be in class with adults of all ages from a variety of backgrounds and experiences. You may miss out on the high school experience (This is the only time you will ever be in high school.)
  • The college operates on a quarter system, while Lindbergh operates on trimesters. Holidays and vacation periods are frequently different. Students are expected to attend classes at the college even though their high schools may not be in session. Careful planning must occur to avoid conflicts with family and school activities.
  • Books and supplies are the responsibility of the student. Transportation is also the responsibility of the student.
  • Students are starting a permanent college transcript when they take any college classes.

TO GET STARTED:  Visit the Running start website at the college that you are interested in attending.

Watch the information video posted on the website and learn the basics of how the program works at that college.

The colleges in our area include:

Bellevue College 

Highline College  

Green River Community College 

Renton Technical College 

Seattle Colleges 

Each College has their steps for Running Start enrollment posted on their website.  Read and follow these steps. 

The steps usually follow this order:

Step 1: Apply for admission at college 

Apply for admission to the college and obtain a student ID number and student email.

Step 2: Determine Eligibility

To be eligible for Running Start you must place into college level English.  Each college’s website will explain to you how English eligibility can be determined. 

If you are wanting to take math then you will need to also provide evidence of placement into college level math to the college.

Step 3: Make an Appointment with your high school counselor

You must obtain a completed and signed Enrollment Verification Form from your high school counselor.

Make an appointment with your high school counselor.  You must provide your counselor with your college student ID number and proof of eligibility for college level English.  Students must have the Running Start Verification form filled out by their counselor, which specifies which classes they are permitted to take at the college.

Step 4: Submit

Submit your completed and signed EVF to the college.  Make an appointment to see a college advisor and to register for the college classes you plan to attend.